Vegan Organic Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger and Leeks
Enjoy this soup on any occasion whether you’re working from home and want something to warm up during a cool fall day or you’re making a soup for lunch to warm up later.
This is a healthy and easy vegan soup recipe using farm fresh organic ingredients.
Vegan Organic Butternut Squash Ginger Soup
- 1 large organic butternut squash peeled and chopped (to yield about 4 cups)
- 2 medium organic leek cut 1" chunks, rinsed well
- 2-3 inches fresh organic ginger peeled and finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic hemp seeds
- 2-3 cups liquid use 1 or 2 to your taste; organic veggie stock, organic coconut milk, organic hemp seed milk, or organic almond milk
- 1 teaspoon organic cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon organic allspice substitute 1/8 tsp organic cloves and 1/4 tsp organic nutmeg
- 1/2 cup organic cilantro
- organic vegan sour cream
- 1 clove organic garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 organic onion peeled and chopped
- organic coconut oil for roasting squash and sauteing leek
Pre-heat oven to 350°.
Peel and chop butternut squash, onion and garlic.
Brush the silicone baking mat with a small amount of organic coconut oil.
Now place the chopped butternut squash and chopped garlic on the baking sheet with the silicone baking mat; put in the preheated oven and roast for 20-30 minutes; check after 15 minutes; flip and rotate the pan for even roasting; remove once butternut squash is tender with a fork.
While waiting for the squash to completely roast, rinse the leek well and chop; saute the leek by covering the bottom of a frying pan (medium to medium-high heat) with coconut oil; add leek and stir to avoid burning.
Using a Vitamix or similar blender; add ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and hemp seeds into the blender. Do not blend yet.
Caution from Vitamix: When blending hot liquids or ingredients, use caution; spray or escaping steam may cause scalding and burns. Do not fill the container to the maximum capacity. Always begin processing on the lowest speed setting, variable speed 1. Keep hands and other exposed skin away from the lid opening to prevent possible burns.
Blending Tip: When blending hot ingredients try filling the blender no more than one-half full; remove the center feeder cap; lay a kitchen towel over the lid to keep from spraying the walls or you but and also allow heat to escape; begin blending on the lowest setting.
Add sauteed leeks and roasted butternut squash to the blender and blend.
We've selected organic vegetable broth for our liquid, but you can use any liquid as mentioned earlier. Be sure your liquid of choice is warmed; begin by adding one cup at a time to the blender until you reach your desired soup thickness and texture.
Pour into fun decorative soup bowls.
Top with chopped cilantro and a dollop of vegan sour cream; Enjoy!
How-To Peel and Cut a Butternut Squash
How-To Peel and Grate Fresh Ginger
How-To Peel and Cut Leeks