Online writing is what you do best. You have at least two years of experience writing and editing online content about apps/software or technology.
Do you love trying out the latest apps to get work done? Are you always on the lookout for tips and tools that will help you be more productive? Do you have a knack for writing about complicated topics so even beginners can understand them?
If that describes you, we’d love to talk.
We’re looking for a full-time writer to play a central role in increasing our app content, helping to solidify Zapier as the go-to site to discover and learn about tools for work. This position joins our editorial team, which publishes the Zapier Blog, Learning Center, and App Overviews. As a company, we’re on a mission to help everyone be more productive at work, and with nearly one million monthly readers of our content, the editorial team plays a key role.
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply to Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you’ll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Online writing is what you do best. You have at least two years of experience writing and editing online content about apps/software or technology. This includes using keyword research to guide your content and promoting and distributing content.
Writing is a pleasure. Whether for work or personal matters, you relish the time you spend writing and wish you had more of it.
Technology is it. You’re excited to explore new tools that could make your readers or you more efficient or effective, and you’re eager to be part of a company building a modern productivity app.
Testing is paramount. When writing about software, you go beyond perusing marketing pages and watching demo videos—you sign up, enter sample data, and try all the app’s features so you get a fair and thorough picture.
Curiosity is a constant. It’s not enough to know whether a popular new productivity app works—you want to find out exactly who it’s best for and how it stacks up against the competition.
The Oxford comma is a must. Or it isn’t. Either way, you have an opinion on the matter since you’re a stickler for strong grammar, style, and punctuation in writing.
Data drives stories. You enjoy telling stories based on data and research, and you use best-of-practice SEO techniques to get content in front of your audience.
No draft is sacred. You rewrite introductions until they don’t resemble their former selves, obsessively check for unnecessary words, and welcome editing feedback.
Publishing and distribution go hand-in-hand. Before a piece goes live, you have a plan in mind to bring in readers, whether it’s through email newsletters, social media, or organic search.
Learning brings satisfaction. When you approach a foreign subject, you don’t let your lack of knowledge stand in the way—even if it requires dozens of Google searches.
Efficiency is important. At Zapier, the work you do will have a disproportionate impact on the business. You set up systems and processes that let you increase your impact to be larger than yourself as an individual contributor.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a startup, so you’ll get experience with a little bit of everything. That said, here are some things you’ll do:
- Write or update six long-form posts and 16 short-form pieces per month focused on SaaS tools, including app tutorials and category roundups
- Promote editorial content on social, in our email newsletters, and elsewhere
- Put SEO best practices to work, including keyword research and tracking
- Edit the writing of fellow editorial team members
- Identify and pitch trending and high search volume topics to help grow readership
- Work cross-functionally with a product team to intertwine editorial content into our app directory
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best possible experience with Zapier
For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
If you want to work remote, that’s great. If you want to work near others, that’s cool too. Our team of 100+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don’t have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don’t use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We’ll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you’ll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
How to Apply
Fill out the form below to answer the following questions:
- Briefly tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role.
- What is your experience writing and editing for an online audience?
- What is your current writing volume measured by words written per week?
- What is your experience writing about apps, software, or technology?
- What is your experience writing long-form (1,500+ words) content?
- Share links to three pieces representative of your best work (does not need to be long-form) and tell us about their performance.
- If you were assigned the topic “Best CRMs for Small Businesses,” how would you go about authoring the best piece possible? Tell us your process.
- What is your experience editing long-form (1,500+ words) content?
- How did you learn about this role at Zapier?
Finally, wait for us to reply. We reply to everyone, even if we don’t seem like a good fit.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We’re excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
To apply for this job please visit zapier.workable.com.