We are looking for someone who thrives in a busy environment and loves taking on new challenges
More than 80,000 paying customers depend on Buffer, and we focus as much on how we work as what we build. We’re looking for an executive assistant to our CEO, Joel, to create the ideal environment for calm, productive work. You’ll master systems, schedules, and projects, and filter out distractions so Joel can proactively focus on Buffer’s vision and future. Want to be the key element that takes Buffer to new heights? We’d love to hear from you!
More about the Executive Assistant role
This position provides all aspects of direct support and assistance to Buffer’s CEO, Joel, as well as some administrative and organizational support for Buffer’s leadership team.
We’re looking for an intuitive, empathic and attentive team member. In a role that is loosely defined, the ideal candidate would read between the lines and proactively jump in to grab tasks to make Joel’s work and life easier, simpler and more focused.
In the best description, we’ve read of this role, Michael Hyatt describes “an air-traffic controller for your life. Not just your business—your whole life.” The ideal teammate will be Joel’s air-traffic controller, coordinating all the needs and demands of his life.
You won’t get detailed instructions for every task. Instead, you’ll be an extension of Joel – thinking and acting on his behalf all day long, making him more productive than he could be alone by providing the kind of intuitive support he may not even know he needs!
On a day-to-day basis you will:
• Proactively manage Joel’s workflow and priorities, including meetings, correspondence, and milestones.
• Proactively manage a busy and complex calendar and partner with Joel to keep him on schedule.
• Prioritize and partner with Joel to make sure that all key objectives are addressed and handled in a timely manner.
• Set up meetings and calls, plan meeting agendas, take detailed meeting notes and follow up on CEO action items.
• Help prioritize incoming communication in a high volume inbox, including drafting replies to e-mails
• Help organize critical work projects. While a lot of this role supports others, you will also run some projects from start to finish and work closely on many strategic matters.
• Communicate in person and through correspondence with high-level contacts inside and outside the company such as partners, customers, and senior leaders.
•Support Joel and the leadership team with travel arrangements and expenses.
Skills and experience we’re looking for:
Ideally, we’re looking for someone who has some or all of the following as a background:
• Past experience as a successful virtual assistant, executive assistant or office manager
• Experience supporting a team and mastering a large number of tasks
• General knowledge of the travel industry such as flights, trains, rental cars, hotel and conference accommodations desired.
• Comfort with a variety of office software tools like G Suite, Google Calendar, Todoist, Trello, Dropbox, and more.
Qualities and traits we’re looking for:
• A super-organized, punctual, and proactive person who loves to coordinate and keep the trains running on time
• Someone who thrives in a busy environment and loves taking on new challenges
• Over-the-top written communication skills
• Outstanding organization, prioritization, analytical, and anticipatory skills
• Solid project management and problem-solving skills
• Excellent attention to detail
• An “introvert whisperer” with a high EQ and emotional awareness of different personality types
• Confidence in holding someone accountable, even if they’re in an authority position