This is a remote contract position, but reports to HQ in Los Angeles. Copy Desk hours will mirror that of our home office editorial department, so must fall between 9am and 6pm PST
The Ranker Story:
Ranker is a new form of entertainment publisher with a unique crowd-sourced element. Our editors publish ranked lists on topics as broad as The Best Movies Of All Time to things as specific as the 10 Totally Weird Stranger Things Fan Theories That Could Explain Everything. Our readers vote, edit, and re-rank the stories as they see fit. Founded in 2009, the company made a number of breakthroughs in the last 18 months, which has led to explosive growth, now reaching more than 50MM unique visitors worldwide, spending on average 5 minutes per visit. Our business is driven primarily by programmatic advertising and is profitable.
Ranker is headquartered in LA and 70+ employees strong and growing.
We are currently looking for a Copy Editor/Proofreader with working knowledge of journalistic standards and best practices, grammar, sourcing, fact-checking, as well as recent experience using (and maintaining) a voice & style guide. First and foremost you have a meticulous attention to detail, and an eagle eye when it comes to grammar, spelling, and consistency of style.
Secondly, you understand best practices when it comes to image-sourcing and attribution, as well as fact-checking references and spot-checking for plagiarism. As part of our Standards Department, the copy editor report to the Copy Director and will be the final stop for our content before publishing, and will ensure Ranker’s style standards and best practices are completely implemented on every piece of content that we publish.
- 2+ years experience in copy editing for a high-profile entertainment, celebrity, movie, or television publication. Online highly preferred.
- Minimum 2 years Digital Media experience
- Experience utilizing a voice & style guide to ensure all content is crisp, clean, properly fact checked, well-sourced, free of bias and legally low-risk.
- Experience with large-scale cleanup projects that bring previously published content up to current standards preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment for a data-driven publisher
- Experience with various CMS
- SEO knowledge/ experience preferred
- A passion for pop culture
- Problem-solver and effective communicator
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, film, etc
Please note: This is a remote contract position, but reports to HQ in Los Angeles. Copy Desk hours will mirror that of our home office editorial department, so must fall between 9am and 6pm PST.