This position is primarily responsible for providing basic system (automated and manual), processes, testing and project support for small to medium sized initiatives in the functional area.
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum’s financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum’s three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
This is the first level in a three-level career path. This position is primarily responsible for providing basic system (automated and manual), processes, testing and project support for small to medium sized initiatives in the functional area. The incumbent may work on larger initiatives under direction of a more senior team member.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify simple problems and performs basic troubleshooting of the problem to determine root cause.
- With guidance proposes potential solutions.
- Learns how to monitor production systems/processes.
- Identify and document simple system change requests.
Subject Matter Expert
- Represents functional area on small to medium size functional projects to effectively communicate business needs.
- With guidance assists in development and/or maintenance of training/user/system manuals.
- With guidance develops/maintains documentation for existing processes.
- Learns how to assess technical/process impact of making simple business changes.
Testing (System Change Requests (SCR) and Projects)
- Executes testing for small to medium size initiatives for the functional area.
- Learns how to track and document testing results.
- Learns appropriate guidelines to achieve testing signoff.
- Performs basic situational business analysis/problem solving and/or implementation support for small to medium sized functional area projects.
- Performs project coordination for small to medium sized functional area projects.
Partnering and Communications
- Partners effectively with team members of the functional area.
- Learns how to partner cross-functionally by building relationships with other functional areas and IT.
- Effectively articulates ideas and concepts through verbal and/or written communication.
Continuous Improvement/Process Innovation
- Looks for ways to improve existing simple processes the functional area owns/supports
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 1+ years in functional area or other related area.
- Solid business knowledge of the systems/processes the functional unit owns/supports
- Solid knowledge of the customers the functional area supports and the processes they follow
- Solid knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Solid negotiation skills
- Solid planning, organization and time management skills
- Has personal initiative to set goals and tasks and follow through on them.
- PC/Mainframe/applications experience
- Basic understanding of both project management and systems development methodology
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
To apply for this job please visit unum.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.